Tuesday 25 September 2012

Home work

Grey heron in flight
Flying the nest
Not for the first time, I'm very glad today that I work from home. As I look out on to the street I can see my neigbours battling against the Winnie-The-Pooh weather (a blustery day - see?) and I'm SO glad I'm not on my way to the station to stand shivering on platform 4 waiting for a train to London. All I have to do is mumble my way into the room at the back of the house overlooking my garden (a heron has just flown by!) and I'm at work.

There are other advantages, too. For instance, it was very convenient that yesterday I was here to let in the washing-machine repair man without having to negotiate time off. I'll spare you the details, but at the moment I have two machines in my kitchen, neither of which is working. I'm also able to juggle my hours so that if I get a better offer during the day I can go out with a clear conscience as long as I work in the evening. My clients don't know when I've done the job; they're just know that I get it done on time.

It's particularly useful to be around during the day this week, because my son is moving out on Friday and I've been given permission to release my inner control freak and help with the logistics of packing, paperwork and general organising. I'm in my element. I just hope I can rein in my enthusiasm at the weekend and don't try to arrange his furniture in his new home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    I work from home and I love it. It suits both my obsessive-compulsive side (no social interactions interrupting my work) and my introverted side. That said, when I work from home I have to make more of an effort to be social in order to balance it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Homeworking doesn't suit everyone, but I agree: I couldn't work in a 'proper' office now, but it would be very easy to slip into working in pyjamas and never leaving the house. That is one of the many reasons I'm glad I've got my yoga teaching as well as my writing to keep me busy.

    ReplyDelete