Tuesday 16 December 2014

The joy of shared space

I think I've told you before that on a Tuesday afternoon, when I'm teaching yoga in an upstairs room in the Methodist Church, downstairs the Ladies' Group meets for tea and chat, and quite often a guest speaker. At this time of year, our bending and stretching is often accompanied by carols and such like provided by a visiting choir.

This afternoon was our last session of the year, so I'd planned to include a meditation on winter - reflection and contemplation on seasonal stillness and silence: you get the idea. OK, maybe silence was unlikely, but I felt sure we'd have nothing more disruptive than choral accompaniment.

The lesson went well. As the end approached, we eased ourselves into a comfortable position, put our socks back on and wrapped up for the final quiet moments.

Of all the music I thought we might be treated to, I never for one moment anticipated boisterous Songs From The Shows. As we guided ourselves towards stillness, from the floor below came the unmistakable sound of 'June Is Bustin' Out All Over!' I silently sent the musicians peace and blessings, while encouraging my students to 'turn your focus inwards'. Hey ho.

Luckily, I had a bag of chocolate Santas on hand, so everyone went home smiling.

8 comments:

  1. Julia that could be a Victoria Wood sketch! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture you all! Maybe a little of the joyous music added another element to the benefits of the yoga class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rosemary. We are learning to be flexible in more ways than the purely physical.

      Delete
  3. Ha! That made me laugh. I wonder what I shall be listening to at pilates tonight. It's usually pan-pipes... but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one of my other venues a couple of weeks ago, we kept hearing an annoying beep. We all checked our phones and had a good hunt round, but couldn't track it down. Turns out it was coming from the tumbledryer in the site supervisor's cubbyhole.

      Delete