Friday 26 May 2017

Is it OK to celebrate today?

My principal celebration today isn't really mine, but I'm happy to cling to its coat tails. Some of you might recall that I had a piece of writing in a  local guide book about the Montagu Monuments in St Edmund's Church in Warkton, a village just outside Kettering. (Read more here.) Well, this lovely little publication has received a national award for the best church monument guidebook in the country, which I'll admit is quite niche but worth raising a glass of bubbly to. Sadly, I shan't be able to go the presentation do as I'll be away.

On the same weekend, I've also been invited to a writing competition prize-giving evening, because I'm on the shortlist, which is rather pleasing. I shan't be able to go to that either, not least but it's in Taunton, which is a tidy step from Northamptonshire. The organisers have said they'll let me know if I win: I'm not holding my breath.

Apart from playing my uke in a concert on Saturday night - a church fundraiser in aid of a new roof (aren't they always?) - I have nothing planned for the Bank Holiday weekend, so maybe I'll just sit about and do nothing. Yeah, right.

Have a good weekend, folks.

Want to join in and celebrate with us? Hop over to Lexa's blog here and sign up.

Footnote. I am, of course, mindful of the recent terrible events in Manchester, but have nothing fresh to add to the conversation, other than to say that if you heard the moving Pause for Thought by Remona Aly on the Chris Evans show and were wondering about the Shams of Tabriz quote she used, you can find it on Goodreads here.

10 comments:

  1. Well, I think you should be very happy about these connections to these events, and I think you should celebrate. And I think it's good to connect to things that give the heart a lift in daunting times. I'm heartbroken over the disaster in Manchester, but applaud those that are determined to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, elizabeth. It seems rather trite to say we just carry on, but there's nothing else to be done.

      Delete
  2. I'm wishing you well on your short-listed piece, and I think that sitting about and doing nothing is a well deserved treat on a holiday since you do so much usually. Have a great, long, relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing some serious pottering about, Lexa.

      Delete
  3. I did hear Remona's Pause for Thought - she did such a good job. I must admit I didn't know whether I'd join in this week for Celebrate but then on reflection for one evil deed there are so many wonderful ones, aren't there and life should be celebrated even in the saddest of times? Therefore lovely to read of your successes with your writing and have a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend :)
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Onwards!

      Delete
  4. I'll raise a glass with you for the local guide book. Celebrate all achievements with no apologies. Congratulations. Re Manchester, I echo your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed for your shortlisted story, Julia x

    ReplyDelete