Thursday 27 September 2018

I have sinned

Of the seven deadly sins, the one I succumb to most often is envy. (What did you think I was going to confess? Shame on you!)

I've decided that's what's wrong with me this week. I'm envious of my husband for having escaped into retirement, even though it was me who encouraged him to give up work; I'm envious of friends who have more money than me, more freedom, bigger houses, better clothes, whiter teeth; and I'm envious of writers who have achieved more success than me and at an earlier age. In short, I have a bad case of Poor Me Syndrome. This is, of course, ridiculous. I am healthy, I'm surrounded by loving family and friends, I have no mortgage and I earn a decent living doing things I enjoy. I should be ashamed of myself - and I am.

I've been looking back over my last two years' accounts; while my earnings have remained roughly the same, the amount of my own writing seems to have gone down, notwithstanding that I've published two books in the last 12 months. This presumably means I've been editing more of other people's work, which is what pays the bills, but it seems a retrograde step.

Today, then, I've entered a couple of competitions. I also popped into Sainsbury's to buy the new issue of Om Yoga & Lifestyle magazine, where I was pleased to see that Stripped-back Yoga gets a mention on the books page. It's not all bad, then.

4 comments:

  1. You have no mortgage? That's great! AND you've published TWO books in the past 12 months? Wow. Now you are going to make us envious.:-)

    Good luck on the competitions you entered, and congratulations on getting a "what's new" mention in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Priscilla. As you will see from my latest post, I'm in fine fettle this week. :-)

      Delete
  2. This seems to be a good time for reflection, Julia - have just been trying to get myself into gear! I don't really suffer from envy but I have to remind myself that comparison is a waste of time - especially when so many writers are bringing out so many books. You're doing well, so onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of enouragement, Rosemary.

      Delete