Monday 26 November 2018

Concrete mixer

Image: morguefile.com
I am indebted to my mum for the inspiration for today's short post.

Her latest writing-group challenge is to write a poem in the shape of the subject - for example, something about a cat in the shape of a cat. A quick Google search revealed hundreds of very clever examples of what I now know is called concrete poetry. (I won't post any here, out of respect for copyright, but they're easily found.)

I rather like the idea of fusing words and images in this way, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with.

Are any of you practised in this form?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not practiced in it, but it is often used in classrooms to get young children enthused about the possibilities of poetry, and it usually does turn them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the websites I looked at was a resource for teachers, and I can see how this might be a fun way to encourage children to have a go at writing some poetry.

      Delete
  2. I have tried it a few times but wasn't all that successful. It's hard! Kudos to those who can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's one of those things that's much harder than it looks.

      Delete