Thursday 19 September 2019

Saving the world, one piece of cheese at a time

I've just caught myself washing the wrapper from a Dairylea Triangle, so I can put the paper label and the foil into separate recycling bins. Have I gone too far?

Since I've become involved with Extinction Rebellion, environmental issues have started to become a bit of a 'thing'. I'm taking my own mug everywhere, I'm saving the inner bag from my cereals to use for my packed lunch and I'm making Ecobricks like a demon. Some changes are easy; I gave up Clingfilm ages ago and it's been no bother to revert to loose tea rather than teabags.

Other things are much harder. I'm not ready to give up my car, for instance, even though we have two and I work from home, so with a little bit of planning we could probably manage with one. I have tried to use the bus, but it tends not to turn up, which is annoying, and while I'd love to travel by train it is prohibitively expensive. I've just checked, and a single ticket from Kettering to London for this morning would cost £64.50. It's about 80 miles and my car does 45mpg. No contest.

Tomorrow, though, I shall be out on the streets waving my banner in support of the Global Climate Strike. Will you?

4 comments:

  1. I'm in awe, Julia. I won't be out waving my banner but we've used loose tea for years and I walk rather than get the car out for short journeys. I do recycle but depending on how much washing the plastic/foil requires I do wonder if the hot water I'm using negates what is saved via the recycling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon if you use the water left in the bowl after you've washed your pots, it's probably a reasonable exercise to wash your recycling stuff. It doesn't have to be perfectly clean, just not stinky. Bottom line: do what seems feasible. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think I'm in the same boat you are, Julia. About the wondering if I've gone too far with recycling. I'm feeling guilt ridden about buying cases of bottled water, but our water is so nasty I hate to even cook with it. I've been buying gallon jugs of water to cut down on so many bottles. And GOOD FOR YOU for joining the Global Climate Strike! When are the knuckleheads of this planet going to get a clue??? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're blessed with good water here. Don't beat yourself up about buying the bottled stuff, because you have to do what's right for you. I bet you're doing your bit in other ways. x And yesterday was amazing!

      Delete