Friday 30 August 2019

Mood swings

Writing: it's a funny old game. One day you're riding high because ideas are abundant and the words are flowing; the next day, you take someone's casual remark as a sign that your work is hopeless.

On Tuesday, while loitering in the Doldrums, I decided that if A Sparge Bag on the Washing Line  doesn't sell well I shall never write again. By Wednesday, I'd perked up again and I wrote a rather fine short story, if I do say so myself. I was also invited to submit two poems to an anthology being produced by a local writing group. Then yesterday, I heard I'm on the short list for the Writers Bureau Poetry Competition and I was approached to do some creative writing workshops. Today, Friday, I still have the wind in my sales.

If you're looking for inspiration, take a look at The Ruth Rendell Short Story Competition here. At £15 entry fee, it's a bit on the steep side, but it's for a good cause. The word limit is 1,000 and the prize is £1,000, which is a good per-word rate. The winner will be commissioned to write four more stories; I don't know if there's a further fee payable for this. I do, though, know someone who was runner-up one year; apparently, the awards evening is rather splendid. As always, make sure you read the rules and all the Ts&Cs.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the wind is in your sails.:-) Congrats on making the poetry contest short list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Priscilla. It's done my ego a power of good.

      Delete
  2. Julia! That is so exciting about all the news the last few days. Way to go, girlfriend!! Isn't it kind of strange that even when we're on such a high and our writing (or whatever our talent) is being affirmed by folks, yet, that low always comes along to counter balance things I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I'd still rather be doing this than anything else, though. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete