Sunday 11 August 2019

Not a woman's best friend

Photo: Morguefile
To be clear, I have nothing against dogs. Dogs are animals; they act on instinct, not reason. Dog owners, however, well, that's another matter.

Might I suggest that when out exercising your hound on a public footpath, should you see someone coming towards you*, you call that hound to heel? Don't assume that everyone is happy to be jumped upon by a strange animal.

Nor does it help to say, 'Oh, he won't hurt you. He's just being friendly.'  
Two things:
  • First, how do you know he won't hurt me? Just because he's never bitten anyone yet, doesn't mean he won't start with me. Maybe he doesn't like the look of me. Maybe I smell intimidating. Maybe I'll accidentally make some movement that your animal will interpret as threatening.
  • Second, I can be friendly, too, but I wouldn't leap up and gyrate against your leg or lick your face without being introduced first.
I'll say it again: dogs are animals. They are not people, no matter how much you wish they were. Broadly speaking they have teeth at one end and smelly poo at the other.

* I am of course ranting here against the minority and in particular against the owner I encountered yesterday. I'm sure anyone reading this is a responsible and considerate pet owner.


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about this type of behaviour, Julia - and my friend would agree even more as she's said more or less the same as you! Much as I like dogs, some owners leave a lot to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was another one yesterday. The ugliest dog you've ever seen came bounding toward us, unfettered, so I politely called to its owner, 'Would you call it back, please?' He just said, 'It's OK. She's friendly.' Honestly, some people!

      Delete