Tuesday 28 July 2015

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There was a message waiting for me from Google when I came to my blog this morning:

'European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent. As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. You are responsible for confirming that this notice actually works for your blog and that it is displayed.'

I mention this because you might have seen a message at the top of this post asking you to consent to the use of cookies. Rest assured that I am not following your every move. I have no idea how to embed tracking software into my words - and I wouldn't even if I could.

Nice use of the phrase 'as a courtesy', don't you think? Thanks, Google.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that, Julia - I had been seeing the top band all morning but assumed it was because of a legality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a message from a Higher Power, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about that. It appears at the top of everyone's blogs (including mine, I imagine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nothing sinister, Wendy - and yes, it's on yours.

      Delete