Friday 5 February 2016

Bagging a prize

Remember  how I said I'd been shortlisted in the H E Bates short story contest? Well, I went along to the awards do last night, and a good time was had by all in a very convivial atmosphere. This was the function for which I'd been rehearsing my public speaking skills - and big thanks to poet Kezzabelle for all her help - so I was a tad nervous, to say the least, but I managed to get through it without making an idiot of myself.

I'd been asked to go along and read out my entry: 'Scoring an own goal in tennis', and I had assumed that this was because I'm local, but no: I won a prize! No, not one of the main ones, but the award for the best Northamptonshire writer. (H E Bates was a local boy.)  I was amazed. I was presented with a certificate and a cheque, which latter has been turned into a lovely new bag.

Have a good weekend, folks.

Celebrate the Small Things  is a blog hop. Visit Lexa's Blog for the rules, and then post every Friday about something you're grateful  for that week. Originated by VikLit) and co-hosted by L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge and Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits Blog.  

13 comments:

  1. Wow, how wonderful!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Julia. Glad it went well, and you won a prize too. You can't have too many bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree Maggie .... my daughter has a huge box full of bags :¬(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go you!!! It's awesome to be recognized (especially if that recognition includes money -- LOL!) Congrats on your prize and new bag and have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind comments, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your prize. Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's brilliant news, Julia, and a good idea to buy something to show for your win. That way every time you use the bag it will remind you of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, definitely something to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete