Friday 14 April 2017

Celebrate the small things, and other snippets

Despite the fact that I've worked my wotsits off this week, I'm still basking in a little post-Wales glow. On our way home we popped into Bodnant Gardens. We're National Trust members, so we always try to visit a property when away. We were there quite early, so it was relatively quiet and still. The grounds are fabulous (there's no house to visit) and we came away quite determined that we need a rill and a watermill in our suburban patch - not to mention a sequoia (see pic). Dream on!


Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum', Bodnant
And so to this Friday's  celebrations. Chief among them is that someone close to me has had good news relating to a health issue; and elsewhere, a friend seems to have overcome some issues that have been plaguing her for months. On a less significant level, but still worth celebrating, the hop seeds I gave to Clive as a joke Christmas present (he brews his own beer) have germinated and are poking their leafy heads above the compost. There are other plants bursting forth, too, all of the potentially edible variety, so there'll be some serious allotmenting to do in the coming weeks.

This brings me back to Bodnant Gardens, where a Kipling quote on one of the information boards reminded us that:

'Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade.'

Happy Easter, folks. 

Want to join in and celebrate with us? Hop over to Lexa's blog here and sign up.

6 comments:

  1. I too try to visit a National Trust garden if I'm away - I've been a member for years. As for the Kipling quote... I'd rather sit in the shade with a good book and watch my husband tend to our beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as someone does the digging, Wendy! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love National Trust, Calke Abbey is about thirty minutes away, and I like to go up there to walk and breathe in the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Calke Abbey: I'll add it to my 'must visit' list. Thanks, Maria.

      Delete
  4. The Open Gardens programme kicks off here this Sunday so I'm planning to be out and about, admiring and gathering inspiration- if the weather holds. On the home front - picked the first of my strawberries today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the potential for a good crop of strawberries, but they seem reluctant to turn red. I hope yours are tasty.

      Delete