Friday 20 October 2017

Celebrating the small things again

Today I'm celebrating the end of my pastels course. Not because I'm glad it's over: just the contrary. I'm celebrating that I managed to stick with it and produce something reasonable. I'm planning to keep going at home and try to refine my skills.

Seeking inspiration
The other thing I'm celebrating is learning a new way of working. The choreographer we've been working with at the dance-theatre group sessions has introduced us to the idea of moving, then writing, then moving again. To explain: we visited a disused church, which we explored in our own time and plotted a route around, connecting elements that struck a  chord. Later, we re-created our route in the school hall where we rehearse. Next we had to write down a list of words that came to mind when we followed that route, then we took some of those key words and turned them back into movement. Honestly: I've never felt such a luvvie!

My task for the weekend is to review the proofs for Nine Lives. What are you up to? I'd love to hear from you.

If you would like to join this bloghop, send your details to laura.6eg@gmail.com  and she will do the necessary.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, the writing and movement thing sounds interesting...
    This weekend I'm going to start blogging again as I've lapsed, and I'm also making a new writing plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Maria. I'll look out for your next post. I think the moving/writing thing is an extension of the way ideas come to me when I'm out on a walk, which is why I always have a pencil in my pocket.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of linking moving and writing. Two very opposite activities. It sounds very creative! Moving your body and moving your mind.

    I'm glad you liked your pastels course. I've tried my hand at it and wasn't very good with the medium even though I know how to draw.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very interested in the body/mind connection, Kimberly. Try it, and let me know how you get on. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you liked your pastels course, too. I have worked from time to time in pastels and love the feel of them on my fingertips. And I've always loved the rich colors. It's a lovely media to work in. The movement/writing exercises sound fascinating. I'd be interested to know what else ensues from them. Do you find yourself looking at language differently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Elizabeth. What has been interesting is how 'writerly' my responses are. There is a sculptor in the group who comes up with a completely different set of words from me. No doubt I'll be posting more about this project as it progresses.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting life you lead, Julia - love hearing about it all! I'm off to see steam trains today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. I like to mix things up when I can. I hope you enjoyed your steam engines. One of my early editing jobs was working on railway books. Ah, happy days.

      Delete
  5. Today I will be mostly trying to cut up a butternut squash without chopping my fingers off. Why do they make them so damned hard ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're tricky blighters but worth the effort. Slice off the fat end so you have a flat surface, then cut downwards.

      Delete
  6. Love pastel drawings but am rubbish at doing it. A bit late I know (as you posted this a few days ago) but today I am going to write a new short story... now where's a surprise 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time out to comment, Wendy. Now: back to work.

      Delete