Thursday 3 January 2019

Best foot forward

Inspired by my fellow blogger Maria over at First Draft Cafe and my real-life friend Debs, I have signed up to walk 1,000 miles this year. Not all in one go, obviously. It averages out at just under 3 miles a day, which is an hour-ish. It should be feasible, shouldn't it?

Should you wish to join me, there's lots of information on the website here. The project is in association with Country Walking magazine and is, of course, a nifty way to get us all reading it (though you don't have to buy a copy to join in).

I see, too, that the adverts have started to encourage us to whip out our binoculars and join in the Big Garden Birdwatch at the end of the month;  I've started a 30-day online yoga programme, too. There really is no excuse for sitting about.

Well, I don't know about you, but I could do with some of these motivational opportunities at the end of February, after I've endured all those cold winter days when it barely seems to get light and it's as much as I can do to get out of bed! If you'd all be kind enough to make a note in your diaries to give me a virtual kick up the backside in eight weeks' time it would be much appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. You won't need a virtual kick. You're going to do great! The key for me exercising on a chilly, dark day is to start BEFORE being motivated to start. Like, "I'm shoving my shoes on fast and throwing on a sweatshirt and I'm out the door!" Then a quarter mile later I think I don't want to be out in the cold, but I already am, so might as well keep going. Fortunately, by the half mile mark, my blood is pumping and I'm warmed up, and I'm GLAD to be out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely possible – I averaged just over 5 miles per day last year (helped by a longish walking holiday). It's really improved my fitness and I aim to do the same this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't make a very good start, but I've done much better this week.

      Delete