Wednesday 4 January 2012

Books for schools

Who should pay to fill the shelves?
On one of my many pre-Christmas trips to Waterstones, I was given a leaflet about forthcoming events - signing sessions, readings, that sort of thing. But also on the leaflet was an appeal for books for schools (actually it said book's for schools - aargh!): 'We are currently working with local schools and their lack of budgets to try and fill up their libraries with some lovely donations...', with a request for children's or adults' fiction or non-fiction books to be dropped into the local branch.

Now, like most readers and writers I have lots of stuff I could donate. But should I? Aren't such things supposed to be state funded - and the more people give, surely the more likely the Government is to think that this is one area it doesn't have to worry about? I know this doesn't help schools struggling to fill their shelves, but somewhere deep inside I'm getting an uneasy feeling about this.

Nevertheless, I am off to town with a carrier bag of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment