Friday 28 June 2013

Celebrate the small things again

How can it be Friday already?

I had two days of yoga last weekend, which was lovely, but meant I didn't have time to catch up on my domestic duties. This means we have run out of food several times and meals have been adequate but not overly pleasant. Celebrating a full tummy.

I've taught seven yoga classes this week, so I'm feeling thoroughly stretched. I've also bought myself a couple of books for inspiration for future classes. There are only so many poses, and I live in fear that my students will get bored and wander off to another teacher - or take up Pilates. So I'm constantly on the lookout for ideas. You can't have too many books, I say. Celebrating my lovely students.

Speaking of which, I've started to read the books I bought at the Althorp Literary Festival. I'm beginning with Luck by Ed Smith and I'm really enjoying it. It's a fascinating look at the role that luck, risk, chance, fate - call it what you will (though the terms are not interchangeable, I'm learning - plays in our lives. I heard Ed Smith speak at the festival and he was amazing. He is a former cricketer, which makes it all the more astonishing that I'm enjoying the book; I hate cricket. But he has a lot to say and a good way of saying it. Definitely recommended. When I spoke to him as I was getting my copy signed, I asked him if he thought there was any point in making plans, given that luck is so important. 'Not really,' he replied, which brought a chill to my control-freak bones. When I'm not reading this, I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, which is a completely different kettle of fish. Must finish this before I see the film. Celebrating my literacy.

Happy birthday, bro
Choir committee meeting this evening, then it's bring on the weekend. New Orleans jazz tomorrow, then a family do on Sunday to mark my little brother's big birthday.Celebrating friends and family.

One more thing. I had my hair cut yesterday by someone who didn't look old enough to be out on her own. She sprayed my head with 'Age Defying Radiance'. One can but admire her optimism.

10 comments:

  1. I must get some of that Age Defying Radiance! My hair isn't doing it on its own.

    Glad to be in touch with another yogi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did toy with the idea of a separate yoga blog, but didn't think I could sustain two. And anyway, life is yoga/yoga is life!

      Delete
  2. I watched Cloud Atlas and it's quite a trip. I bet the book is better!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I won't bother with the film, then, Brandy.

      Delete
  3. You must be well stretched after all that yoga this week I've only managed the once. I go to a class and have good intentions of doing some at home in between but somehow it rarely happens!

    Enjoy all your family fun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to establish a home practice, Suzanne, but worth the effort - even if all you do is stand in Tree while the kettle boils.

      Delete
  4. Age Defying Radiance! I need some of that!

    Oh gosh I LOVE Cloud Atlas as a book! I haven't seen the film but the book I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vikki, did you see Brandy's comment above?

      Delete
  5. I've been reading lots lately, I'm really enjoying it, I sometimes forget how great it can be to have your head in another world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a habit worth pursuing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete