Wednesday 26 June 2013

Judging competitions


I am in the middle of helping to judge a flash fiction competition. (I won't say which one in case you've entered.) I like writing flash fiction; it appeals to the editor in me. However, I know some people who hate it either as a writer or a  reader, saying it's too short for anything meaningful to happen. I disagree.

All the entries I have read are very good and even though some are not to my taste I can appreciate the work that has gone into them and the skill behind the words. Some, though, are examples of writing craft without the element of fiction: perhaps they are pure description or opinion. One of the factors that has helped me to decide which stories deserve (IMHO) to go through to the final is whether they are complete stories - with a beginning, middle and end; with conflict and resolution; with character development: with everything you would expect from a longer story. Winners will be announced shortly.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm celebrating having finally finished and passed my anatomy and physiology course. I'm hoping this will find me better to placed to help my yoga students with their aches and pains. If nothing else, it has enabled me to explain to my son why he struggled to walk after his first ever game of squash. *Smiles maternally*  

4 comments:

  1. I'd have to say character development is the most important thing to me in a story. I suppose that might be a bit hard in a very short piece though. On the other hand, short pieces that do achieve character development are definitely deserving to be put forward as finalists!

    In other news I nominated you for a Liebster Award - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, thanks for your comments. If nothing else, the experience of being a judge has reinforced the belief that it's very subjective. There were some excellent entries that didn't make the cut. And thank you for the nomination.

      Delete
  2. Being a judge is a tough job. Good luck with that and good luck with all those yoga students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I have new respect for those who have to read the Booker long list!

      Delete